Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We’ve got the Con


(Last year's Thanksgiving was quite smaller than we expect this year's to be)

I know some of you will get the quote in my title, and I know some of you won’t. I don’t actually know it as a Star Trek reference, but I had a supervisor who used to tell me every time he left the office, (deep voice) “Kephart, you’ve got the con!”

Early this morning Dan and Barb with family left for a much needed two week vacation to Florida to visit family. Which means Wes and I are in charge for the next two weeks, including Thanksgiving. Right now I’m juggling names and places on paper for Thanksgiving dinner. Those who will be around are dividing up into smaller groups for dinner, so as not to overwhelm anyone, or any oven. Then we will all get together after our respective football games and naps for an evening as a larger group ☺

I’m glad we are able to be here and provide places for people to go over the holidays. Many of our folks are new here, and don’t have the option of taking leave, and we are so far away from home for most of them. I look forward to learning the Thanksgiving traditions of others, as long as it still includes stuffing and mashed potatoes!

I hope all of our “readers” are doing well. Please let us know if there is any specific way we can be praying for you!

Elaine (& Wes)

P.S. If you haven't noticed I did post two new albums of pictures last week. Check out the links to the right ------>

4 comments:

  1. my! what lovely sweet potato souffle you have, Kephart!

    I'm excited for your Thanksgiving day! Hope it goes smashingly... well, without breaking anything.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksgiving away from home....hhmmm what a concept.....over the river & thru the woods, as they say.....hope all is well, & i missed the part about our calls home for the holiday....we love you all & keep you in our prayers always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although it is a bit late ... here's the explanation of the phrase:

    http://www.worksafeboredom.com/content/showthread.php?t=4432

    May God continue to bless your ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Re: "You've got the con"

    Many people know it as a Star Trek reference but in fact it's probably at least a hundred years old, possibly much older. It is a standard announcement in the sea going services for the person to whom it's directed as well as everybody else on the bridge when control of the ship is passed to another officer. I know it from my enlisted service on a couple of different deep water US Coast Guard cutters in the 1960s The Confederation and its star ships, of course, take much of their nomenclature from earlier maritime services.

    The original Star Trek aired during my 3rd year of service; we watched it at sea on 16mm film because no VHS, no DVD, no satellite yet.

    ReplyDelete