Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Happy Hustlers

That's right folks, my dad's Sunday School class is called the "Happy Hustlers" it's been this way longer than I can remember, and probably longer than any of the current members can remember too. There is surely a slightly less entertaining story as to how the name came about than I would like.
We spent Sunday afternoon at our camp on a mountain in PA with all these folks, and I'm pretty sure a good time was had by all! Wes and I have been incredibly "welcomed home" and blessed by our friends at the Blanchard Church of Christ. It seems as soon as they are welcoming us though, they are sending us off as well.

I took a rough survey of the people who stayed to hear us speak during Sunday School and found that approximately 95% of them had either been in the military, were related to someone in the military, or knew someone currently in the military (most fell in the first two categories). And I'm reminded that the ministry of Cadence is relevant to a lot of Americans! And most people don't even know it exists.

So, if you know someone in the military, check out www.cadence.org to see if they have a hospitality house ministry in their area. It may provide just the relief needed (if only once a week) from what can't even be called food, but is just left as "chow".

God bless,
Elaine

Wes playing "washers" (a game similar to horse-shoes) with Jim. Jim also happens to be the master of chocolate chip cookies, so I came away from the day with a new recipe!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I could fix this before any of you notice...but I've just opened two consecutive posts with "That's right folks"
    Maybe it could be come my trademark, like Paul Harvey's "The rest of the story" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay fun! This does look like a good time was had by all. Speaking of chocolate chips, your baking box saved me (and quite possibly some of those unfortunate enough to be in my immediate vicinity) last night! I was seriously jonesin' for a chocolate chip cookie-- but i mean a quality one... not some funky ol' lame excuse for a cookie, but there were none to be found on E York St... so i went rummaging for some kind of hopeful substitute... and found a bag of chocolate chips in the baking box! wahooo! (b/c somehow just chocolate chips are a more suitable consolation than a mediocre cookie.) ...and thats the rest of the story...

    Glad Blanchard and Home are going great! Listen, i am realizing how geographically affected military sentiments, recruitment efforts, & perceptions are... my friends in the city come from counties with populations 4 and 5 times the size of ours (at least) and don't directly know one person in the military. But i do, and as such i understand the importance of your work. Love you!

    ReplyDelete